After a beautiful day of snorkeling in St. Thomas, hiking in St. John or enjoying the beaches of St. Croix, you might want to unwind in the evening with one (or two) of the top ten drinks in the US Virgin Islands. Luckily, there are several great beach bars throughout the island with welcoming, laid back atmospheres. Whether you are at a hotel lounge, a swim-up bar or a beach shack, we guarantee you’ll find a variety of great beers, wines and cocktails.
Here are the top ten drinks in the US Virgin Islands:
- Painkiller: As a matter of fact, this strong cocktail is a Virgin Island favorite! It is a delicious mix of rum, coconut, pineapple and orange with a thick and creamy consistency. At the end of the day, the painkiller is sure to remind you why you love vacation in the Caribbean.
- Bushwacker: Combine happy hour and dessert with a delicious milkshake made with Coco, Lopez, Baileys, Kahlua, Amaretto and Vodka. Don’t let this sweet snack fool you though. Bushwackers are infamously strong, so you’ll only need one or two.
- Rum Punch: This is another island classic that almost every bar has on the menu. It’s a refreshing blend of Dark Rum, Grenadine, sour mix, orange, pineapple and a dash of bitters. The citrus mix is perfect to quench your thirst after a day snorkeling in St. Thomas or hiking Caneel Hill in St. John.
- Cruzan Confusion: This popular US Virgin Islands drink uses the famous Cruzan Rum, which is made on the islands. Start your day touring the Cruzan Rum Distillery in St. Croix, and then as the sun sets order a Cruzan Confusion at your favorite beach bar. The equal mix of Cruzan mango rum and Cruzan coconut rum with pineapple juice is the perfect tropical mix for vacation.
- Limin’ de Coconut: This refreshing Virgin Islands drink includes Light Rum, Coconut Rum, Lime juice, Coco Lopez and crushed ice. Limin’ de Coconut is especially great for quenching your thirst and cooling down after some time in the sun.
- Bay Breeze: A more tropical treat is the popular cocktail called a Bay Breeze. This US Virgin Islands drink is made with Cruzan Aged Light Rum, pineapple juice and cranberry juice. Most bars serve this over ice and garnished with a pineapple or a strawberry.
- Frozen Pina Colada: A popular drink in many tropical locations, you’ll also see Pina Coladas in the US Virgin Islands. It’s a tasty combination of rum, coconut cream, coconut milk and pineapple chunks. If you don’t meet the drinking age in the US Virgin Islands, virgin Pina Coladas are a great non-alcoholic alternatives for visitors under 18.
- Dark and Stormy: A top choice for beer lovers is the Dark and Stormy. This is a combination of ginger beer and black rum, with wedges of lime and oranges as toppings.
- Rum Swizzle: Although the Rum Swizzle is known as “Bermuda’s National Drink”, it has also been adopted as a USVI drink for many years. In addition to Cruzan dark or light rum (or both), the Rum Swizzle also has lemon juice, triple sec, orange juice, pineapple juice, grenadine, Angostura bitters and crushed ice. Watch as the bartender stirs with a swizzle stick and strains into cocktail glass!
- Cruzan Kiss: Want to celebrate a special occasion during your trip to the US Virgin Islands? Why not make a fancy Cruzan Kiss drink? Pour one part Cruzan Strawberry Rum and four parts Rose Champagne. Drink it from a flute and feel elegant and luxurious.
These are only some of the most popular drinks in the US Virgin Islands. Now that you have a list, you can feel confident ordering on your next Caribbean vacation.
After your Caribbean vacation, comment and let us know which US Virgin Islands drink was your favorite!